History of Tofukuji Temple
The temple was built over 19 years from 1236 (Katei 2) to 1255 (Kencho 7). The regent at that time, Michi-ie Kujo built the largest temple complex in Kyoto and named it “Tofuku-ji Temple” after Todai-ji Temple and Kofuku-ji Temple which were the most powerful temples in Nara.
Some of the buildings were destroyed by fire several times, but were rebuilt each time. In addition to the many pagodas, the oldest bathhouse in Japan and a latrine called “Toji” still remain, and are valuable materials for understanding the daily life of Zen monks in the Muromachi period (1336-1573).